THE Minister of Transportation, Budi Karya Sumadi, requested that the Garuda Indonesia flight tariff be affordable to the public, although on the other hand, he also requested that the company be able to generate profits to continue.

This was stated by Budi in his meeting with the President Director of PT Garuda Indonesia (Persero) Tbk Irfan Sebuahutra and his staff at the Ministry of Transportation, Jakarta recently.

“I have two things, not just to reduce ticket prices but I also prioritize Garuda Indonesia to be sustainable. This means that it must be profitable to be sustainable but also provide affordability for the community,” he said.

Budi als mentioned there are three proposals so that the national airline can provide prices that are affordable to the public. He also said that the proposal had been submitted to State-Owned Enterprises Minister Erick Thohir.

First, by bundling flight costs with hotels for a number of tour packages that are believed to be the people’s choice. The second proposal, namely by making sales in advance to increase the level of load (load factor) airlines that have not been optimal.

“Right now the Garuda load factor is an average of 70 percent. The remaining 30 percent is a pity. If from the 30 percent around 50 percent of it is filled and can be sold three months before then it will increase the occupancy,” he added.

While the third proposal, Budi continued, is to provide cheap tickets on certain days and hours where the occupancy level is still low. We hope that these three things can make Garuda better. Exists, but can also provide affordability. [antaranews/photo special]