FINALLY, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe together with President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Thomas Bach agreed to postpone the implementation of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics through talks conducted by telephone line recently.
Abe conveyed the results of these talks to reporters amid growing awareness of the corona virus pandemic or COVID-19.
“We asked Bach to consider a one-year delay so that later all athletes could play in the best conditions, and ensure this agenda could take place safely for the audience. President Bach said that he agreed 100%,” Abe conveyed the results of his talks as reported by Reuters which was monitored in Jakarta on Tuesday.
Tokyo had previously completed the Olympic preparatory phase when COVID-19 began to spread globally. Although he had forced the mat to take place on schedule from July to August, at the beginning of the week Abe had expressed his idea of an inevitable delay.
Meanwhile Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike on a different occasion said that the Tokyo Olympics will be held in the summer of 2021, but still carries the name “Tokyo 2020”. [antaranews/photo special]