PRESIDENT Joe Biden will again impose restrictions on entry to the United States for non-residents from Brazil, Ireland, Britain, South Africa and a number of European countries.
Reporting from CNN International, this was confirmed by a White House official said the reinstatement of the ban will take place on Monday, January 25, just a week after President Donald Trump lifted the ban on January 26.
“I agree with [the Secretary of Health and Public Services] that this action is the best way to protect Americans, while keeping the journey safe,” Trump wrote.
Previously, the White House Press Secretariat Jen Psaki said, with the worsening conditions of COVID-19 transmission and the emergence of new variants, it is not the time to lift restrictions related to international travel, on his twitter.
“On the advice of our medical team, the US Government will not lift these restrictions on January 26. In fact, we plan to strengthen public health measures around international travel to further reduce the spread of COVID-19,” Jen Psaki said.
On the first day after the inauguration, Biden said his policies would be based on science, not politics. He will increase the supply of vaccinations and ask international travelers to provide negative evidence of a COVID-19 test before traveling to the US.
Meanwhile, The Guardian reported that Biden seemed not to want to lose time, immediately signed a 198-page document on Covid-19 handling strategy and 10 executive orders related to COVID-19.
This includes mandates requiring the use of masks on federal buildings or lands or traveling by plane, train, ship or intercity bus. Stricter protocols are in place at the White House. The number of COVID-19 cases in the US has reached nearly 25 million, with 400,000 people having died. [antaranews]